SOCIAL NETWORKING (MINUS JESSE EISENBERG)
Dating and/or hooking up online can be a nice way to pass the time or boost one’s ego. However, there are some rules I’d like to lay out that I wish everyone would follow:
- DO put up a face picture or at least have one readily available. It’s 2011, people. A nice torso is meaningless if there’s nothing attached to it. Also, profile pics of landscapes are just lame.
- DON’T only post photos of yourself in hats and/or sunglasses. That receding hairline and those crow’s feet are going to come out eventually.
- DO include your age (and the right one at that). Shaving a few years off can be tempting, but save yourself the embarrassment of being questioned later or having to break the news yourself. Not including your age makes you look like you have something to hide.
- DON’T specify that you’re only into a certain ethnicity in your profile. Everyone is entitled to a preference but spelling it out reads as hateful and just tacky.
- DO be reasonable in your expectations. Not everyone is going to respond to you, just like you (most likely) won’t respond to everyone. It’s not a dinner party in someone’s living room; it’s the wonderfully grey area of the internet.
ABOUT: TALES OF WEST HOLLYWOOD
Seeking a change in his life, the author moved to his own apartment in West Hollywood in 2008. The column is a look at the life of this single 29 year-old who’s enjoying his life while casually looking for Mr. Right…or Mr. Right Now.